Friday, July 16, 2004

Songs for Swinging Larvae.*

I think it is high time that I address a very serious issue to me.  It is one that has plagued me since high school and still does until this day.  It's a problem that involves a pusher, trying to prey on weakness.  It is the problem of people trying to get me "in to" crappy music.  Just to let you know: I'm gonna get pissed here.  
 
You know these people, or maybe you are one.  The guy who's like:   "Hey, can I put my CD in? There's this song by this Irish punk/ska band, the song's called "Flaming Buildings."  It's kind of an Iraqi war protest song.  I think you're gonna love it."    
 
So you let them put it on, hoping it will make them happy, and it's some travashammockery of a song that sounds like Green Day and Korn collided with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.  Of course that's just the beginning. They ask you, "I know you're into rap (because rap, hip-hop and R&B all fall under the same category, but Dublin Trombones have a special genre called Punk/Ska), but wasn't that a cool song?"
 
You try to tell them, "Well, it's not my cup of tea."  So, they try harder.  "Just listen to Number Six. Number Six is awesome."  What, are you getting commission every time the song's played?  Number Six, as it turns out, sucks harder than "Burning Buildings" did.  Of course, while it's playing, they are telling you the entire history of the band, including other "progressive" bands you've never heard of that they've been in (most of which have at least one member who has died of a heroine overdose, making them "hardcore.")  
 
My plea to these people is this: "Leave me the F alone. I'll chose my own music, thanks."  As you can see from my profile, I have a widely varied taste in music, ranging from Brooks & Dunn to Linkin Park.  I'm sure the Dropkick Murphys are a great band and if I ever heard one of their songs playing at a party, I wouldn't protest.  I just do not want to be forced to listen to them. OK?  Are we clear?  I like a song by the Baha Men called "Move It Like This."  I never make people listen to it, because they would say, "Nice song.  Did you remember to let the dogs out?  Baha Men suck!"  What if I said, "Hey, your band, Pumpkin Seed Necrophiliacs, sucks."  All of a sudden I'm too "pop," and I'm close minded.  No, I just don't have time to read "Garage Band Weekly" for the latest on some broke band with really "experimental" music. Sorry.  
 
So that's it.  And if I get one comment, from anyone, that says: "Hey, Dropkick Murphys kick ass!" You've proved my point.  So don't.  I will listen to my "rap", my country, my Linkin Park and be very happy.  
 
But, if you've got a minute, there's a song by this girl from Louisiana.  It's called "Everytime" by Britney Spears.**  You should really listen to it.  I have the CD in my car. Can I play it?  
 
I'm finished.
Nate  
 
*- Song for Swinging Larvae is an actual album by "Renaldo & the Loaf." Look it up. I dare you.
**- I really do like "Everytime" by Britney. 

2 comments:

Ash said...

Oh, dear God, Nate. Britney fucking Spears? Come on, now.

Jaime said...

I also comment on everyone's blogs. If you have no life then neither do I. But I think my dissertation on jello salad gave that one away.
I agree with your assessment of music pushers. Try not liking rap in this day and age. Everyone thinks that if I listen to just one more song I'll come to a whole new appreciation for the genre. More like I come to a whole new realization that I don't like rap. Plan backfires.
Something in Ashly's room just mooed, I'm getting the fuck out of here.