Monday, July 12, 2004

Lasting "effects" and the long weekend.

Wow. What a 48 hour period. I left Green Bay Saturday morning to go to Iron Mountain. Spent the whole day (and a majority of the night) hanging out with some great folks at Beej's graduation party. Oh, and I had a couple of beers. OK. Maybe it was more than a couple. Beej and Katie seem to be doing very well in Seattle and Gabe and his girl Beth were there as well, so all was good. Sunday morning, I decide I want to go to Marquette, and do. After a quick shower at Lori's, I had lunch/dinner with Karissa, a couple of cocktails with Gabe and Beth, and hung with Ash, Bridget and Co. (sadly, no Jamie but as she said "Maybe you could call next time.") to watch a movie. I then caught about an hour and a half of sleep and drove back to Green Bay...at 3:45 AM CST. Got in around 7:00 AM, and I must say driving in the early morning is very relaxing. Very action packed weekend all around!

The one movie that I watched with that crew last night was "The Butterfly Effect." Ashly had asked for comments about it last night, I decided to wait until today. The movie can be summed up in one word: overdone. Ashton Kutcher can go back in time and change things that he did in his life at key points that eventually have a ripple effect, drastically changing the course of the future. It's an interesting concept and the unexpected cut scenes provide plenty of startling chills, but it is all just too much. I mean, first of all, Michael Kelso is playing a serious role. He pulls it out for the most part, but a the end of the day, this is the guy from "Dude, Where's My Car." It's difficult to get past that. I think Amy Smart may have blown her last chance to get to Reese Witherspoon Territory and may be making her permanent residence in Tara Reid-ville. Anyways, some of the scenes in this movie were downright depraved and disturbing and that leaves an effect. I didn't fully understand the ending, but then again I did doze a couple of times during the viewing. And one question for anyone that's seen the movie: Did Ethan Suplee's character, Thumper the big goth guy roomate, serve a purpose in this movie? At all? Just askin.

So that was a random movie review. I heard something hilarious a couple of weeks ago, my uncle Matt had vaccuumed out my cousin Dillon's car, presumably because he had got dirt in there from golfing. He comes back in and says "OK, Dillon, I'm done. I pimped your ride." That is funny, I don't care who you are.

I'm finished.
Nate

2 comments:

Jules said...

Just a random question considering your review of The Butterfly Effect. Would you have liked it better if Ashton Kutcher wasn't in it? See, I watched the movie and really liked it. BUT--I haven't ever watched anything with Ashton in it before. (yes, I used to be deprived of watching tv) I don't like him because he's a tool. Ok...where the hell was I going with this post? I don't know. So I'll leave it at GREETINGS!

Dusty said...

I enjoyed Butterfly Effect. Yes, it was a little over the top at times. I had a hard time seeing Ashton Kutcher in the role too. He's been definately typecast in his other roles. I do think he did a decent job at this role though. I compare this movie to Donnie Darko. Both movies will leave you thinking about what actually happened. It's supposed to be somewhat disturbing and it's supposed to leave you wondering. Overall, I think this is a good movie and merits more than one watching to fully understand it. As for Ethan Suplee, who I find a very entertaining actor ("You dumb Bastard, it's not a schooner. It's a sailboat.") He didn't serve much of a purpose... except to show the differences between Ashton's lives. He starts out as one of his best friends and changes to be with the frat guys who heckled him, etc.