Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Post 100

Live from the Call Me Hoss studios in Appleton, WI, it's the

"Call Me Hoss: One Hundredth Post Extravaganza!"



We'll take a look back at the last hundred posts and of course, take a look ahead to the next hundred. Guest appearance comments are expected from: Jaime! Ash Bash! Corey Bruno! Carrie Miller! Ashley! And anyone else that reads this on a regular basis!

Thank you. Thank you. When you do something one hundred times, whether it's posting on a blog, riding a bike or robbing a liquor store, you tend to get pretty good at it. (Sorry, that was me channeling John Madden for a second.)

I discovered this little rodeo back in June of 2004 and have been trying to get up entertaining posts whenever I could or whenever I had something to say. Some attempts to force myself to have a topic (the city nicknames thing, etc...) were met with limited success. But, I do try my best to be humorous while blogging my experiences for future reflection. There were times when I was blogging every day (when I was unemployed and living with my uncle. This was also the time when I penned the Shawn Kemp E! True Hollywood Story, truly a masterpiece in the annals of "Too Much Free Time.") There were times when I didn't get a chance to jot anything down for weeks on end. The best thing about this whole experience are the comments that I periodically get from folks. As most of you know, awaiting a sarcastic remark from Jaime is akin to awaiting the arrival of Santa Claus.

Hopefully if you all take one thing away from reading this blog on a regular basis, it's that we can still keep in touch as friends, no matter where our lives take us. No, wait. If you can only take one thing away, it'd be "Watch Scrubs," but if you have room for two things...

So what is Nate Dogg going to do for you in his next one hundred posts? The first thing I'm going to do is have a more interesting life. I decided the reason that I rarely write about anything interesting going on in my life is that, I'm kinda lazy. That's a tall order going into this tax season in which I'll be working overtime like the dad in that "Cat's in the Cradle" song, but I'll do my best.

Secondly, as much as I like sports, I'll try to write less about it. Until I get tired of writing about other stuff and revert back to sports.

My final promise to you is that I am going to start reviewing every movie that I watch in between posts. Some reviews will be long and others not so, but I won't give any plot points away or spoil a movie for anyone. And, I will start that now:

Red Eye (Rachel McAdams, Cillian Murphy) - Although the idea for this film is great (thriller comprised mostly of two people sitting on an airplane) the execution is only so-so. If you've ever seen a Wes Craven movie, you will see most of the plot unfold from a few scenes prior. Rachel McAdams, although stunning in this movie, conveyed the terror of someone watching a particularily scary episode of Scooby Doo. I love this Cillian Murphy character, though. The kid reminds me of a young Brad Pitt.

Two For The Money (Al Pacino, Matt McConaughey, Rene Russo) - Great movie. Although the underlying theme is about a sports betting service, this movie provides something for any taste. Rene Russo and Al Pacino deliver some stellar scenes as a troubled married couple struggling with the various issues in each other's lives. I suggest this movie to just about anyone.

Lord of War (Nick Cage, Jared Leto) - Interesting look at the world of international gun running. Most of this movie revolves around the end of the Cold War and what it meant for gun runners as well as regimes and warlords around the world. A giant spotlight is also wielded towards African nations that in the 90's (and to this day) used anyone that was old enough to pick up a gun in seemingly never-ending civil wars.

So, that's it, folks. I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't include a random movie quote in my 100th post.

100TH POST RANDOM MOVIE QUOTES!

Edward Carnby: "Your mother's wrong, kid. Being afraid of the dark is what keeps most of us alive."

Edward Carnby: "Fear is what protects you from the things you don't believe in."

Edward Carnby: "I learned the truth a long time ago. Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it can't kill you."

Cabbie: "You travel light."
Edward Carnby: "I carry enough baggage for the both of us."

Just some of the gems from "Alone in the Dark" (2005). Remember, this is the same movie that gave us Tara Reid playing a respected paleontologist. A respected paleontologist who has her shirt off within 20 minutes of appearing on screen.

I'm finished,
Nate

3 comments:

truppe said...

Hoss,

You dont know me, I've been reading your blog for a while now. I'm a friend of Carrie and Jaime. I just wanted to say good job on the first 100. You've got some funny stuff, and it gives me something to do at work. Keep up the posting.

Ash said...

"Nate, I'd just like to say that I'm truly honored to have been a part (and by "a part" I mean one mention in a post about a beanbag marathon and total debauchery) of the first hund-O. Way to go. And if we should ever run across each other in a Mqt bar, you should definately buy me a beer." -- Nissa Ryder

I'll write something later. Peace.

Jaime said...

Do you realize that I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to remember the words to "Cat's in the Cradle". And then THEN I tried to make sense of them. Damn you Holtslander, DAAAAAAAAAAMN YOU!

I got your message the other night, I will be calling you back when I have more minutes. So, like Jan 30. Or I can call you when I'm at work from midnight to 8 in the morning. Weeeee!