Thursday, December 01, 2005

Let's Go Out To The Movies.

For the first time in what seems like forever, my best girl and I went out to the movies on Sunday night. Sundays are a very underrated day to go to the cineplex. Think about it, there's barely ever a line and the theater is less crowded. Anyways, we took in the romantic comedy "Just Friends" which stars Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart and the incomparable Anna Farris (of Scary Movie fame.) I laughed so hard in some spots that it actually hurt. It was one of those movies that you watch thinking to yourself, "This plot is pretty preposterous, it jumps around and will no doubt come to an oddly placed and abrupt conclusion, but darn it all, I'm having fun." I honestly remembered thinking to myself that Roger Ebert would definitely not be giving a thumbs up to "Just Friends." I was kinda right.

Not only did Roger Ebert not like it, he actually got angry on his weekly show "Ebert & Roeper" that the studios would dare putting this vile piece of garbage out during the oh so critical Oscar season. That is why I believe there needs to be film critics in this country that will watch a movie with Joe Average American in mind. Tell me if it was funny. Tell me if it was boring. Tell me something besides whether or not you think the director made this one as good as his others. Tell me something relevant.

For example, one thing critics absolutely seem to hate is slapstick humor. They see it as a shortcut to laughs or a filmmaking cheat code of sorts. For me, if it is done correctly, both slapstick comedy and gross out humor can be used effectively to make a funny. The one thing I want to do when I watch a comedy movie is laugh. Whether it is smart and wordy comedy like that of the Kevin Smith classics or the pranks of the American Pie movies, I simply want to laugh. Ebert disregarded "Just Friends" so much that in his review of the movie for the Sun Times he wrote about everything else except the film because it "will be a hard subject to stay on." Real cute, Ebert. Way to earn your paycheck, buddy.

To summarize my feeling, "Just Friends" is a great date movie that will make you laugh in some spots and chuckle in others. Ryan Reynolds plays a dorky overweight high schooler who goes on to be a fit as a fiddle record industry bigshot. Through a freak coincidence, he is stranded in his hometown around Christmas time and tries to woo his high school best friend (Smart) all the while putting up with a crazy pop sensation (Farris) whom he is wooing for the record company. You should see this movie if you don't mind suspending reality (it is a romantic comedy after all) and are willing to laugh at some goofiness. Plus, my man-crush Ryan Reynolds stars in it. Nuff said.

Now read Ebert's review and tell me who's better.

A few more quick things:

Someone please nominate me a new song to have stuck in my head. "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw is entrenched for the third straight week.

The Appleton Smoke kept rolling last week with a 58-47 victory over Joe Smokevitch, putting my fantasy team at 8-4 for the season. A win this weekend would assure me of a second place finish in the regular season and the $100 prize that goes with it.

The Wildcat hockey team has rebounded from the four straight losses to UM and MSU to get back to mediocrity, splitting two straight series.

We lost a great actor last week with the passing of Pat Morita. His portrayal of Mr. Miyagi and 'Arnold' Takahashi on "Happy Days" were both institutions. Show of hands if you've ever used the "Wax on. Wax off. Wax on. Wax off." joke. Somewhere in heaven right now Mr. Miyagi is having tea with Ralph Macchio's acting career.

This last week also saw the passing of Brett Favre's free ride in Green Bay. People are actually getting on the radio and questioning whether or not St. Favre of Lambeau may be actually hurting his team sometimes. And to think, Grant and I have only been saying that for three years or so.

Finally, now that Steve Mariucci is looking for a job, I'd like to be the first to invite the Northern Michigan University alum to come back and turn around the Wildcats. Rest assured, Mooch, the university would never ever be stupid enough to bring in Matt Millen as an AD so you'd be all set. I think a more likely scenario is that he's coaching the Packers next year, but a boy can dream can't he?

I'm finished,
Nate

4 comments:

*Carrie* said...

*hand raised* wax on...wax off...Also might I add that no matter if you know karate or not you have at some point in your life done "the crane kick" during mock fighting or quite possibly a real fight...and if not then you're just dumb...I too love Ryan Reynolds and am with you all the way on Just Friends!!! As for Ebert...well isn't it obvious...the man wears sweaters that use to be couches....lets kind of figure he's a little out of touch...if he were here right now I'd totally pull the Crane Kick on him!

P.S. thank you for not having word verification :)

Dusty said...

Word is that another former NFL coach and NMU Alum, Jerry Glanville, is interested in the NMU coaching position.

Ash said...

Ryan Reynolds is smoking hot. Everyone is in agreeance.

Stop using the word "woo" so much. I hate that word.

Bill Rademacher, former NMU alum/former MSU coach/and my uncle, is also considering looking into the job.

BrownCow said...

Dude. Anything by ABBA, "Barbie Girl," that song about the diner on the corner. Hope that helps.