Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year.

With 24 bowl games scheduled from Dec. 20 through Jan. 4, I thought I'd jot down my picks and have a little fun with the bowl games. Even if you don't like football, you should read the post. Just trust me on this. Oh, and Greg, if you are reading this, send me a pick sheet if you are running the pool this year. I need redemption from last year's picks, dogg! My remote is ready, my beer is in the fridge, my girlfriend is trying to think of ways to move all of her things out in between games without me noticing, and without further ado, I give you.... PICKS!

New Orleans Bowl, Dec. 20- Lafayette, LA
Arkansas St v. Southern Miss
In light of what happened in New Orleans this year, couldn't they have just cancelled this bowl? This may be the first bowl in history that loses so much money that they have to call it at halftime because they can't afford to keep the lights on. Um, Southern Miss...I guess.

GMAC Bowl, Dec. 21- Mobile, AL
UTEP v. Toledo
Toledo lost to the Central Michigan Chippewas this year. That has got to be the first bowl eligible team of the 21st century to do that. No way am I taking them. On second thought, though... No! I won't do it! UTEP, Go Miners.

Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl, Dec. 22- Las Vegas, NV
California v. BYU
Imagine you are from BYU, the most prudish and social restrictive campus in the country that doesn't have "academy" in the title. Then imagine trying to keep focused in Sin City for four days. Advantage: Cal.

SD Cnty Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl, Dec. 22- San Diego, CA
Colorado St. v. Navy
Are you kidding me? Credit unions are sponsoring bowls now? What next, the Leo's Grocery Hospitality Bowl? I love seeing Navy in a bowl game for one reason. I get to bet against them if I want. Go Rams.

Fort Worth Bowl, Dec. 23- Cincinnati, OH
Kansas v. Houston
Can you at least name the bowl something, not just the city it's in? This angers me. It's the same as just naming a stadium after your team... it's stupid... like... Yankee Stadium. (And you thought I wouldn't get another Yankee barb in until spring.) I'll take Houston.

Sheraton Hawaii Bowl, Dec. 24- Honolulu, HI
Nevada v. Central Florida
UCF completed one of the greatest turnarounds I can ever remember in college football history this year, going from no wins last year to 8-4 this year. Gotta go with the heart on this one. UCF wins a bowl game in their first ever appearance.

Motor City Bowl, Dec. 26- Detroit, MI
Memphis v. Akron
Oh my goodness, another blockbuster Motor City Bowl Matchup. Akron also lost to Central Michigan this year, so Memphis it is.

Champs Sports Bowl, Dec. 27- Orlando, FL
Clemson v. Colorado
I like Clemson in this one. The only real question I have is whether or not the vendors at the game will be trying to sell waterproofing spray with everything, to insure that you can get the WHOLE Champs Sports experience. "Nachos? Sure, let me grab those for you. You know, you're going to need to water proof these puppies once a month for a year to keep them from getting stains."

Insight Bowl, Dec. 27- Phoenix, AZ
Arizona St. v. Rutgers
I'll always go with the team that is playing in their backyard over a team that has to fly across country from New Jersey. Plus, ASU beat Southern Cal this year until halftime, when the Trojans unveiled their "Awww. That Was So Cute." offense. Advantage: ASU.

MPC Computers Bowl, Dec. 28- Boise, ID
Boise St. v. Boston College
Boise St. is playing in the Boise bowl game for the tenth or eleventh consecutive year. How much does it suck to go to a bowl game in your own town? Now take that feeling and multiply it to the "your town is Boise" degree. I like BC in this one.

Emerald Bowl, Dec. 29- San Fransisco, CA
Georgia Tech v. Utah
I can honestly say that I have no interest in this game. I can't even feign interest. Maybe it will get cancelled.

Pacific Life Holiday Bowl, Dec. 29- San Diego, CA
Oregon v. Oklahoma
If you would have told me last year at this time that Oklahoma would have four losses this year and have to play in the Holiday Bowl, I would have said, "God, that'd be fantastic." I hate Oklahoma in this one. Hopefully it leads to many seasons of this and maybe next year they can be worse and get that spot in the Alamo Bowl.

Speaking of the Alamo Bowl, I think this is a good place to stop for now. I'm roughly half way through the games and I want to start the next post with the Michigan-Nebraska matchup in the Alamo Bowl. So, until then, this is Nathan Holtslander with Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit, saying goodnight from Appleton!

I'm finished,
Nate

2 comments:

Ash said...

Hilarious. I love you.
And quit ripping on my school.

Jaime said...

I have a Leo's Grocery fly swatter.