Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Mall "counter" culture. Just cellin the dream.

If you ever think your life is bad, consider this. There are people, whose sole job it is to harrass the mall walking populus, trying to sell mobile phones to people, who 90% of the time, already have one. You know the guys sitting behind the island style counters. "Hey, pal! How are you doing today? Let me ask you a couple of questions? OK, have a good day then. Hey, how's it going? No? OK. Ladies, how are we today..." It's like being a telemarketer, except that you have to actually look at people when they instantly reject you. Even the immigrants that sell fake jewelry will rarely bother you if you don't look them in the eye. That has to be a sickening feeling. Not as sickening, however, as my reaction to these guys. Yeah, I'll try to walk as far from there little cosmetics counter thingies to hopefully avoid this evil confrontation. Don't tell me you haven't done it! (What! You think you're better than me? Well, kiss my grits!) And who buys a cell phone at the mall anyway? "Hey, I'm gonna run over to Aeropostale to see if those shorts are still on sale. Ooohhh, AT&T Wireless! Heck yeah I want free nights and weekends!" How would that job even be advertised in the paper?

Growing telecommunications company seeks motivated individual to work in focused location cell phone sales. Must have high school degree and be able to say "Hey!" and "What's up, man?" Please go to Fox Valley Mall to apply (don't worry, we'll find you.)

So, as I enter my fourth week of unemployment, I can take some quasi-comfort in the fact that I don't have to do that job. And in case anyone was worried, yes, I am spending far too much time at the malls down here, but I am seeking help. Big morning in Appleton tomorrow, need to break out and iron my best (and only) white dress shirt, so I gotta go. Oh, and I'm sure Jamie is scrambling right now to put together a post about cell phone salespeople. Thought stealer! Kidding.

I'm finished.
Nate

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm not a thought stealer you're a thought stealer. So there.
And I happened have a friend that worked at a Cell One kiosk in the mall. I respected her and her position. To her face anyway...

Jules said...

You're frickin hilarious! I've been giggling the entire time I've read your entries. Especially after the AFLAC comment you left on Jaime's blog....by the way, this is Julie, Jaime's roomie, er, ex-roomie, or whatever. You're being linked to my bloggie so other people can enjoy your entries!