Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Nate and Copp's: Round 2

Nate and Copp's Foods are still speaking to each other, but we are definately fighting again. I go to get some groceries and some beer last night after Scrubs is done at 8:30p. Of course the law is that nobody is allowed to buy booze after 9p. I grab my few things and I hear over the intercom, "We will stop selling alcohol in five minutes." OK, so I run my beer up to the checkout and the guy gets all frantic to the point that he processes the beer as a seperate transaction to get it in under the wire. Whew, 10 seconds to spare. You would've thought it was the last five minutes of an episode of '24.' Then, the kid running the register says this: "I don't know why people always wait until the last minute to buy alcohol. Maybe it isn't as exciting to buy it at noon."

Oh, no. He. Did. Not!

Not to sound like an alcoholic wife beater or anything, but I WORK ALL DAY! Ten hours, punk! Then I go in on my day off! I am not blessed with the schedule that would allow me to buy booze at noon! This is, of course my second run in with Copp's Foods in the last year. I follow your stupid rules of buying before 9pm and I still get hassled? Are you joking! So, suck it and ring up my second transaction, register jockey, I am officially out of here. Later much!

As I predicted last year around this time, I would be watching the Super Bowl again in 2005 with a keen interest in the outcome. The Patriots are going to their third Super Bowl in four seasons in two weeks and if people are smart, they will not pick against them. The best part is that they play the Eagles. Now, I know they are probably the worst team we match up with. They like to throw the ball and even without T.O., they are pretty darned good and that's a concern when New England's dime back Hank Poteat was out of football and taking college classes when he was signed two weeks ago. We are much better suited to stop the run than the pass. BUT! We will get to hear about Terrell Owens for two weeks solid, adding to the distraction for the Eagles. Sure Belichek and Brady are undefeated in posteseason play with the Pats, sure the Patriots just silenced all of the "This time will be different against the Colts/Steelers crowd", but all the talk will be about T.O. and will he be back (and if he is, does he have any special Super Bowl dances, and does he plan on doing a pregame skit with Nicolette Sheridan?) That's the thing about T.O. for as good as he is (and he is really good) he often creates unwanted distraction. Is this Eagles team any better without him than the teams that lost the last three NFC championships? Not a chance, and T.O. creates a distraction whether he plays or not. I think the Pats have got to be smiling, they don't have the characters or the loud talkers like T.O., Freddie Mitchell, Brian Dawkins, but they have a hard time hearing them anyways- what with those Super Bowl rings in their ears.

I'm finished,
Nate

2 comments:

Ash said...

Due to my own interests, I've been following this T.O. story to see if they are actually going to return him to play. His orthopod said that it would be detrimental to his progress to let him play in the Super Bowl. This the guy who has the ultimate say, so I think we won't have to worry about him to say the least.

Jaime said...

I don´t know Nate. The Pats are starting to get that New York Yankees feel. And no one likes the Yankees. Or Yankees fan. Another reference I could make would be the early ´90s Cowboys. Of course you know how everyone felt about them. So, for their own sakes, the Patriots would be better off just losing this one.