Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Keep 'em coming.

First, I need to start out this post by taking a moment to mention Hunter S. Thompson, who died over the weekend. His book and then subsequent movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" gave me a famous catch phrase which I still quote to this day, " Wait! We can't stop here... this is bat country!" Yeah, that sounds stupid but hey, I'm all about the phrases.

The phrase that encapsulated this last weekend was:

"Need a beer?"
"Yeah, keep 'em coming. You don't even have to ask."

NASCAR, Tiger Woods on PS2, Outback Steakhouse, lots of beer and Hooters all contributed to the weekend being a break from the monotony that we all needed. As Kurt put it, "This was just what the doctor ordered." Just really relaxing. In our worlds of loan payments and mandatory overtime, it's good to know that we can still kick back and be our old selves over a game of PS2 or a sports debate at the bar. Also, I found out this weekend that I am standing in a wedding as co-best man. This will be my first and possibly only appearance in a wedding party. So, that'll be fun.

Did something this weekend that I haven't done in a long time. I waited more than 20 minutes to get a restaurant seat at Outback Steakhouse on Saturday night. Usually when I walk into a restaurant and the "clipboard-holder-with-the-lighty-up-thingies" tells us it will be more than 15 minutes, I'm usually the one saying, "Screw it, let's go home and order pizza." This time it was 60-70 minutes. I almost swallowed my tongue. We found out later that there was some formal dance going on in the Appleton area that night and the whole joint was populated by high school girls who spent way too much on dresses and guys who looked uncomfortable as hell wearing a shirt with a tie. That's where the greatest invention in restaurant waiting technology comes in handy: the restaurant bar. Nothing hits the spot more than a place where you can shag $3.50 bottles of beer while you wait forever for a table.

Ashley and I also made a decision on a vacation in May. We decided on Seattle over Boston because of the close proximity of friends Beej and Kate in the Seattle area. We can get there and back for something like $500 in airfare. I always thought flying cost somewhere in the ballpark of about a kajillion dollars. We also found that it is cheaper to fly to Seattle than it is to Boston for obvious reasons. No, wait. Boston is closer! That doesn't make sense. The one flight we are looking at has 1 stop. Now get your U.S. map out and take a gander at this flight schedule: Milwaukee to Seattle, with a stop in Atlanta. Yes, the Atlanta in Georgia. That's like saying I've got to drive from Marquette to Escanaba...but I have to go through Munising first.

I'm finished,
Nate

5 comments:

Jules said...

That makes absolutely no sense at all. The Atlanta airport sucks ass, too.

Jaime said...

Nice use of encapsulated.

Jaime said...

Oh yeah, your postcard is in the mail. I expect that my gigantic package of full of stuff dedicated to showing me how much you miss my sparkling presence is also in the mail. If not, that's

Jaime Bouvette
DPI Universidad Veritas
Apdo. 1380-1000
San Jose, Costa Rica
Central America

Or you can just address is as

Jaime Bouvette
C/O Satan's Blonde Loving Latino Demons
Asscrack of the World
Hell

But you should probably just use the first one.

Anonymous said...

I had a great time with you, Ashley, and Kurt...you will definitely have to come visit us once we move in (prior to the wedding that is!!)

Hoss said...

Oh, I will visit, Julie. I will visit before the wedding. I will visit after the wedding. Chances are, you are never getting rid of me. (maniacal laughter)

Nate