Thursday, October 21, 2004

Boston's Independence Day

FYI- This will not be a completely sports related post.

I can only imagine how it feels, to wait your entire life for this to happen. Wednesday, October 20, 2004: The day the Yankee dominance over the Red Sox Nation finally ended. Other teams had beaten the Yankees in the playoffs over the years, but not like this. Nobody had ever beaten the Evil Empire like this. Nobody had ever beaten anyone like this. As a newer Red Sox fan of about 3 years, I can’t claim this as the defining sports moment of my lifetime (Patriots 1st Super Bowl and the Av’s most recent Cup), but it was monumental and inspiring, like watching a team version of “Rocky.” The Yankees won 3 out of the first 3 games, meaning Boston won 4 of 4 to take the Series. It’d be like Dubya catching Osama Bin Laden, getting us pulled out of Iraq, curing cancer and STILL losing the election. Four more wins and 1918 (the last BoSox championship) becomes 2004.

By the way, this has been one of the worst weeks ever. I have a punishingly painful canker sore on my tongue the size of a large county. I know what you’re saying: “Quit cryin, you baby!” No. Everyone who’s seen it has told me it’s the worst and largest canker in history. Wednesday I had to go to the doctor (who apparently had seen bigger as she wasn’t that impressed) she gave me a prescription for a mouthwash (that included an “oral steroid” which will apparently allow my jaw to power lift.) that she faxed over to Walgreen’s on Northland Ave. Upon going to pick up this prescription, I was told this by Mr. Walgreen:

“That’s gonna take about 24-48 hours for us to mix up.”

Are you serious? It’s 2004 and you are the largest drug store chain in the world and you need two days to put this scrip together. Thankfully the Walgreen’s on College Ave was able to accommodate my immediate need (after about 13 fax failures and 3 phone calls) and I had my prescription. Now all I need is some Anbesol and a new toothpaste.

“We’re out of Anbesol.”

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I just want my prescription, toothpaste and Anbesol and I want it right now, that’s all I want to do! I turned into a cross between Veruca Salt and Ben Stiller talking to the flight attendant in “Meet the Parents.” There I am in a ”drug store” where I can by the Sopranos Trivia Game, but I can’t get Anbesol. There’s just a big open space where it’s supposed to be, forcing another stop at Target (where Anbesol is actually cheaper than Walgreen’s sale price.) Good job, Walgreen’s. Way to lead the industry.

This lead me to have this thought. Why can’t I ever just get mild stuff?

Some people get canker sores. I get one with its own zip code.
Some people get cold sores. Earlier this year I got one that I ended up having to go to a doctor for because it had infected a gland in my throat.
Some people get sinus infections. I get ones in which my sinuses bleed out for two days.

OK, now I am complaining…like a little A-Rod, but the fact remains that I could use some good luck when it comes to bodily afflictions. Hopefully I won’t ever get athlete’s foot, as they would probably have to amputate. Well, that’s me signing off for the week (heading to MQT tomorrow for the hockey series!)

I'm finished,
Nate

2 comments:

Jaime said...

In the future can you stick to completely sports related posts? Not that I'm not a big fan of the canker sore update. Ish... =)

Anonymous said...

How's the RASH situation buddy ? hee-hee


... I'm just ITCHIN' to know !


Guess who !