Wednesday, August 05, 2009

You're Better Than That, Vol 1

It's amazing how some people stop maturing somewhere around age thirteen. I love to listen to sports talk. Always have, always will. I once stayed on hold on Sporting News Radio for 30 minutes just so I could listen to a show one night (after the only talk radio station in Marquette changed formats and decided they'd rather carry some whack job that talked to callers about UFOs and government conspiracies than sports. That stuff is entertaining when it's the X-Files. When it's Hank calling in from Missoula, Montana? Not so much.) I didn't have a question, I just had unlimited weekend minutes and wanted to listen to the show while I was on hold. I love sports talk.

Today is a golden era in the format. You can get live internet radio feeds from across the country and of course, a podcast for whatever you're into. Unfortunately, this brings out a lot of morons as well. A couple of weeks back, I wanted to keep up on what the Red Sox might be doing nearing the trading deadline. I downloaded a couple of podcasts and on one of them, they were reading emails from listeners about what moves the BoSox should make. Oh, good God.

One of the emails suggested that they bring in movie starlet Megan Fox. Her contribution to the team would be to "motivate" by providing the players with some good ol fashion fellation before the games. Of course, Sully McDipshit's email was not quite as elegant as what I just wrote.

Now, not only is this offensive to Ms. Fox (like she could give a shit), it is 100x more offensive to me as a listener. Is it too much to assume that the adult (key word) hosts of a podcast would try to present themselves with a little more maturity? I guess. Maybe I live in a bubble that is "too PC" and I overreact sometimes to things that are blatantly abhorrent, juvenile and unfunny.

But, come on. Podcast hosts, sports fans and just men in general.

You're better than that.

Nate

No comments: