Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Leeets Go Wiiiildcats!

I spent the weekend in Marquette to take in some hockey and enjoy the company of Gabe, Gabe's sister Rheannon, Ashly Shannon (with her crew) and the Puckheads. "Oh how I hate" Ohio State was in town for two games to finalize the seeding for the CCHA playoffs. I put off going to the game on Friday night until Gabe's sister got into the MQT. By the time Rhea got into town, we ended up deciding not to hit the game and hit the town instead (Nickel, Shamrock, Remie's, Upfront.) After the bar we made some late night dinner then spread pizza sauce on each other while purposely pouring beer on ourselves and the floor. Don't ask.

Saturday was a typical day of Gabe and I running some Roxbury and having some beers. Also, there's this stuff in the Northern part of Michigan that is white and falls from the sky. The locals call it "snow" and apparently it's not uncommon to get 6-8 inches of it in one night.

Northern hockey came out very flat on Saturday night against the Buckeyes. After falling behind 2-0, the Cats got it together and scored 4 unanswered and with Nebraska-Omaha losing, locked up a first round bye with a 14-12-2 record in the CCHA. Not as bad of a finish as I was predicting. I thought as a whole, the CCHA was down this year, but after some research, I found that the 30 points we earned this year would have dropped us in 4th place in the CCHA last year as well, when UNO held down the spot with a 13-11-4 record (30 pts.)

Saturday night was more of the same with stops at Overtime, Nickel, Skybox, and ending up briefly at The Matrixx. Then things got loopy. Rheannon and I decide to leave because it's getting close to 2am and Gabe's finding his own way home. We see some obviously intoxicated kid stumbling down the side of the road and looking freezing. Because Rheannon is a generous, we pick this kid up. Here's the conversation that ensues:

Nate: "Where are you going?"
Kid: "I don't know."
N: "Where do you live?"
K: "Houghton."
N: "Are you staying with someone?"
K: "Yeah, but I don't remember where they are. Either Marquette or Negaunee...with my truck."
Voice in Nate's head: "God damn it."

So, after ignoring my idea to drop him off and let the police scoop him up, we take the kid up to Econo Foods, where I spend the next 2 hours getting ahold of his mom in friggin' Gaylord and getting a relative from the area to come pick him up. Can you get good points for karma if you didn't really want to help the person in the first place?

MOVIE REVIEWS

Four Rooms (Tim Roth) - An older movie told in four seperate but intertwined segments about the night of a bellhop at a past-its-prime luxury hotel on New Year's Eve. Each segment was directed by seperate folks, including one each by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. I love this movie (especially the final segment) and have since back in the day. Always fun to watch a movie that you know is going to deliver beforehand.

Waiting (Ryan Reynolds, Anna Faris) - Hilarious. Although it was not received well at the box office ($16 mil), I have a feeling that this movie will have a huge cult following. Maybe not quite as big as a Napolean Dynamite, but probably along the lines of an Office Space. Ryan Reynolds delivers the goods in his signature deadpan style (when doesn't he.) There's a lot more to this film than the gross out gags and the male genitalia references, but even if you just focus on those parts, it's not bad. I'll let you decide for yourself.

Rent (Rosario Dawson, Taye Diggs)- Of course this is the film adaptation of ultra-popular Broadway musical. That being said, I actually enjoyed this movie for the most part. After a slow start, the second half is definitely worth the price of admission. Plus, few things put a smile on my face like the fact that a movie about AIDS, drugs, sex and poverty is directed by the guy who brought us Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire.

Havoc (Anne Hathaway, Bijou Phillips) - This thing was just a mess from start to finish. Just a formulaic and uninspired movie about white kids acting black. (And poorly I might add. Some of the worst "gangsta" dialogue in the history of movies.) The plot was fairly predictable and I'm not sure there ever was a defined point or goal. So, how could anyone find any redeeming value in this clunker? Oh, I forgot, Anne Hathaway (a long way from the Princess Diaries) and Bijou Phillips get naked in the same scene. Tastefully done, of course.

RANDOM MOVIE QUOTE!!!

Manager: "We need to seize the day. Be enthusiastic."
Floyd: [enthusiastically] "Aw yeah! Carpe Deez Nuts! God, I can't wait to quit this job!"
-Waiting (2005)

I'm finished,
Nate

12 comments:

Jaime said...

It's 3:12 a.m. and I have no interest in going to sleep. Please help me.

Jaime said...

The only thing on is Matlock.

Jaime said...

My grandma even makes fun of Matlock.

Jaime said...

Okay, that's not true, she really likes Matlock.

Jaime said...

She also watches Diagnosis Murder.

Jaime said...

And westerns. She really likes westerns.

Jaime said...

I hate 3rd shift.

Jaime said...

You're going to be like "cool, I have 7 comments" but they're all going to be from me. Not so cool.

Jaime said...

But now I guess you have 8 comments.

Jaime said...

9!! 9 comments!! I can't keep up!

Jaime said...

Okay, I'm done. I think that you have enough comments from me. If you don't feel that 11 is enough (see, I included this one) please contact me and I'll see what I can do about leaving more.

Ash said...

In your Waiting review, you could have at least talked about how friggin' sweet Dane Cook (aka my next ex-husband) was in that flick and how he SO deserved a bigger part. "Welcome to the Thunderdome, Bitch."