Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Final Three...

Sorry about the delay in getting back to my blog. Apparently we are in the midst of an unexpected busy spell in the Thrivent world. Without further ado, here are the big three city nicknames as voted on by... me.

3a) D.C. (Washington, D.C.) - Forty lashes with a red, white and blue noodle to me for not remembering our nation's capital in the list of top city abbreviations. D.C. conjures up fond memories of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech, JFK Jr. saluting his father's coffin, the Redskins, and the time they re-elected a crackhead as mayor. Speaking of the 'Skins, isn't it ironic that the most politically incorrect name in sports is located in the center of said politics in the nation?

2) NY / Big Apple (New York, NY) - You know what, I'm sick of New York getting all this credit for being the huge metropolitan area that it claims to be. When you include the entire state of New Jersey as your metropolitan area, it's not hard to claim you are the biggest. That's all right, I just declared that the greater Appleton are includes Neenah, Menasha, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit and Indianapolis. How do you like me now? Welcome to Appleton, population 5,439,882. Just include the five burroughs when you figure out population and for gosh sake, move your NFL teams to the city already.

1) LA (Los Angeles, CA) - There is not one single city on the planet that is more known by its abbreviation than the Los Angeles area. Think about it, it is more often refered to by those two letters than by its actual name...by far. Los Angeles is made up of many smaller cities, but I still can't tell you where the Southern California Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Orange County play baseball.

Lemme tell ya somethin, folks. Moving within 500 feet of a busy railroad track takes some getting used to. Not that I don't like being woken up 3-4 times per night and wondering if I am going to in fact get run over by a runaway locomotive, but it is still a little startling. Ashley and I moved to downtown Appleton a couple of weekends ago to a house on Lawrence St., right near the... well, near the train tracks. It is good to be within walking distance of some great restaurants and such. We are however a few miles and several stoplights from all of our old haunts and as we found out last night, quite a ways from the nearest grocery selling establishment. (I still can't believe they call a grocery store chain "Piggly Wiggly." I can't stop thinking that perhaps Piggly Wiggly is the long lost Tele Tubby.)

Well, I've got a short work day tomorrow which will be followed up by a long afternoon of cleaning up the old apartment at Lynndale to be presentable for inspection by the old landlords. I then work my once-quarterly Saturday morning shift and then trudge off to my boss, Chris "C Dub" Werner's place for a get together for our mutual funds team.

I'm finished,
Nate

No comments: