Monday, September 20, 2004

Movin' on up like George and Weezey.

You know the people in your hometown that have lived in the same house for like 80 years and are roughly 120 years old? Do you know why they live such long full lives? They never have to MOVE! I spent the majority of Friday and Saturday basically being a van driver/pack mule to get Ashley and I moved into our spankin’ new (built in 1989, making it the newest apartment I’ve ever lived in by approximately 30 years of its closest competition) two bedroom apartment in Appleton. The place is awesome! There’s enough room for a dining room table! We have a storage closet…and it isn’t cram packed with stuff!

I had half my things moved in by noon on Saturday after loading it all up in the U.P., which I drove up to on Friday night. Needless to say, I was on my horse. It’s amazing how good you can get at moving when you do it 2-4 times a year in college. Rubbermaid totes become your best friend, things that slide easily or have rollers ascend a higher place in your heart, and you can say things like, “Hot damn! I knew if I kept that slotted spoon/spatula set long enough I would need it again!”

I also realized that in college I accumulated 30 or so extension cords and outlet splitters, about 1000 pens, and so many burned CD’s I could build entire stable structures with them. I was of course very tired after all of this (I was also suffering from an especially violent version of the Nate Virus until Saturday night/Sunday morning) but finally got a chance to celebrate a little on Saturday night. A beer always tastes good, but it tastes outstanding in your own place. Also, Ashley christened the toilet on Saturday night after she took a voyage too many with Captain Morgan.

Nostalgic. Some things never change.

I'm finished,
Nate

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Congrats on the new apartment!!!!!!!! And I know what you mean about all the stuff. I seem to have accumulated so much stuff that there remains only 1 square inch of livable space left. Oh well, I can hack it for 3 more months. Until I get to move said stuff back home, where I have left all the other crap I deemed not important enough to make the Marenisco-Marquette journey. Should be interesting. Fortunately I won't have to care on the sunny beaches of Costa Rica. Oh yeah, that's right, Costa Rica. Clearly better than Appleton and most especially Marenisco. =)