Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Pining for the Flux Capacitor and Mr. Fusion.

As some of you know, I like to drive around town. I will sometimes even take drives out into the country for no apparent reason other than that gas prices are so cheap now. I like to drive to the store. I like to drive to Green Bay every once in a while. (That trip is like a time warp. Seriously, it's a 30 mile trip that seems like it only takes 10 minutes.) I even like driving during rush hour when people lose the concepts of safety and rules of the road.

So, being the driving enthusiast that I am, my question is this: Why is there still construction projects starting this time of year? Why did I pass through four construction zones today alone? It's almost November, people! Aren't you supposed to be sending these workers off to start getting unemployment checks by now? OK, that was a lot of questions...wait...I thought of one more! Why is it necessary to start projects all over the city? Is one project at a time too ludicrous of a request?

I know it's all supposed to be part of the betterment of the city, but sometimes when these projects are done they are worse than when they began. Next time you're in Appleton drive down College Ave. When you get to a stretch where you say to yourself, "This road sucks." that's the part that they spent all summer tearing up! My theory is that they tore the road up and when the guy that was supposed to bring the new asphalt bailed on them, they just said, "Screw it, get the stuff we just tore up and slop it back down there."

On Ballard Rd, they are tearing up an overpass. Something about driving under an overpass that they are tearing big chunks out of is a little unnerving to me. As it should be to everyone else.

Nothing compared to the infuriating Northland Ave - Lynndale Ave construction of the spring. The skinny of that debacle was that there was a busy intersection of two roads that were both four lanes. So they closed off a couple of lanes at a time and worked on the thing approximately three days a week. Every morning going to work from over there was an adventure all its own.

There are plenty more examples, which I will of course spare you all of because of the beating and the dead horse thing. Of course, I am not just a whiner. I have developed a plan for a solution to this problem that I think is economically and socially feasible. It's so simple that I can't imagine why no one hasn't already thought of it. Of course I am talking about: The Flying Car.

"Roads? Marty, where we're going, we won't need roads."

I'm finished,
Nate

No comments: