Monday, August 08, 2005

Anchorman 1938 - 2005

Today, I feel as though we need to remember a great man who we invited into our living rooms on a regular basis for as long as I can remember. Peter Jennings died last night at the age of 67. If you don't know who Peter Jennings is, chances are you've never seen a TV or your one of those people that frequently says "I don't really pay attention to current events" (usually something said to defend one's blatant ignorance of a situation.)

Peter Jennings made up one part of the most prolific group of evening news anchormen to ever simultaneously grace the airways along with Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather. In the years before the 24 hour CNN's of CNBC's of the world and the massive news information available on the internet, the evening news anchorman was the go-to guy for world news. I remember watching some of the biggest news stories of the 80s and 90s, some of which I couldn't even understand at the time, unfold from the golden voice of one of the big three anchors. I probably put Mr. Jennings a little below Tom Brokaw, but superior to Dan Rather in the scheme of things. Admittedly I no longer get the majority of my news from the big three, but network news was a large part of my developmental years and contributed, almost exclusively, to my awareness of the world around me. I'll miss you, Peter.

I'm finished,
Nate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.