Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Stars and Stripes and What Not.

I've got a lot to talk about after the loooooong Memorial Day weekend (off Friday through Tuesday.) Let's get started!

Swallow Inn Fish Fry- Perhaps I am a little biased on this because it is from my favorite, nay, only watering hole in the Rapid River area that I frequent. This stuff is good, yo. The main show is of course the fish, but you are definately cheating yourself if you don't try the taco salad on the salad bar. After a couple of more pops I took my fish to go and went home to eat with the folks.

Swallow Inn Friday Night- Had a good time conversing with the usual crowd: Kurt, Johnny, Holmgren, Cole, etc... Got a shot from Johnny later in the night as payment "for that time I stayed at your place in Marquette." Someone should tell him that was over a year and a half ago, I think he's bought me beers and shots already for it and it wasn't that big of an imposition in the first place. Somebody else tell him, though... free shots is free shots. Got a sober ride home from Ashley, who got into town around midnight. Funniest point of the night: I get a call at about 10:45 from Ashley. She says, "I just saw a sign that said 20 miles to Rapid River." It sounded a little suspect that she'd be almost to Escanaba, but I shrug it off and go back to my beer. So we wait...and wait...and wait. I get a call a little bit later: "I think that sign said 20 miles to Cedar River. I'm just getting to Escanaba now." Ah, the intricasies of navigating the great Upper Peninsula.

Wedding Bells!- My buddy from way back in the day (like "the first person I ever considered a friend" back in the day), Eric Lundin got married on Saturday. They look like a lovely couple. It was good to see Eric and talk to him in friendly tones again. My years of jackassery at Northern alienated many people and I suspect that Eric fell into that group (obviously through no fault of his own.) It felt great to have all the boys back together; Bruno, Bergman, Lundin and myself. Between the three of them, I think I can account for about 90% of my good memories from back home. We also made up 100% of the 1997 High School Bowl team that was one bad judgement call away from making the "Smart 16." We four shall never meet again... well until someone else gets married. My money's on Bruno. Quote of the wedding: Bergman: "You're staying at home? Oh. Cause I've got a room here for the night if you're interested." Me: "Um. You know how that sounded, don't you." Bergman: "That's not what I meant."

Memorial Day- Same ol parade, less people you recognize, and no beer tent. Yeah, could've skipped that.

I'm finished,
Nate

3 comments:

BrownCow said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BrownCow said...

Dude I am drawing a total blank on why we missed the 'Smart 16' in 1997. Was that the year of my notorius "ICC" gaffe?

Hoss said...

If I remember correctly, we lost on Bergman's answer of "Yabba" when the correct answer was that of "Yabba Dabba Doo." You have to ask for more information! Damn you, Don Wilke!!! We played a lot of football games and competitive pick up games together over the years and I was never more pissed about a loss as I was about that one. Especially when the other team's coach comes over and says to her hybrid band of nerds, "I knew you were the better team!" Hey! Kiss it, lady!